Well, it’s finally here!
The long anticipated WordPress 2.5 is now available for download. As with any new version of WordPress that comes out, there are bound to be problems with themes failing, plugins crapping out and the usual plaque of problems that comes from upgrading.
One issue that I have encountered before using wordpress is when I “upgrade”, I have found it to be most beneficial to follow these simple steps.
- Begin with a backup of your database and your files for your site. Don’t skip this step, take the extra time to do this…trust me!
- Download the latest version and either unzip it on your computer and then upload, or upload and unpackage it on your server.
- Overwrite your existing files. Don’t do anything else, but just overwrite them if prompted. This will help to prevent problems with your upgrade. I have even deleted all of my wordpress install files, except for the wp-config.php and my theme and plugins folder.
- Run the upgrade process.
- Test your site. This is critical. Test it right away. Leave a comment, check all of your pages, etc. to make sure that they are working. There is nothing worse than thinking you are done than to find out that your comment form hasn’t been working, or your layout is all messed up.
This by no means is a full and inclusive list, so I am providing the links to some great information for you, directly from WordPress.org.
- Main WordPress Codex page
- Version 2.5 Plugin Compatibility List
- Version 2.5 Theme Compatibility List
- Upgrading Guide
Hope this helps some, and if you run into problems, always check in the WordPress Forums, or check with the individual Theme or Plugin Developer sites.